Except for Caitlin Clark, I don't follow basketball. I never played and don't understand it. I realize the athleticism might be higher than it is in any other sport (and I don't agree with those who say golf is a close second on that score). I don't like contests where nothing often matters until there are 3 minutes to go, and then all the rules change and the way the game is played changes. Okay, that explains why you don't see NBA stuff here. But the NBA's new round-robin format with shortened periods of 2 American teams and 1 international team for their All-Star game begs for comment because it is beyond nuts. No one is going to watch or care who wins. In sharp contrast, by having a 10-man American team play a 10-man international team might not reach Ryder Cup proportions, but it would be watched and, if the players showed they cared, be watched intently and talked about incessantly. When it comes to promoting its sport, the NBA has joined the WNBA (when it left Caitlin Clark off the US Olympic team) as being tied for the title of dumbest professional sport marketeers.
[EOP]
No comments:
Post a Comment