Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Why Cameras in Dishwashers (and Other Appliances) Make Sense

Cams and sensors have found their way into most major appliances and for good reason. Ovens have cameras that watch food as it cooks and alert you when it’s properly browned, and smart refrigerators will ping you when you’re running low on eggs and suggest recipes based on what’s lingering in the crisper. But I failed to see an obvious use for hidden cameras in dishwashers. When I heard that Miele had snuck one into its new model, unveiled this week at IFA 2026 in Berlin, I was suspicious. After a brand rep walked me through the new Diamond G8 and its novel smart features, I began to see some appeal. The small camera, fixed to the back of the dishwasher door, gets a clear shot of the dishwasher’s interior. It uses that view to take inventory of what’s inside, recognizing dozens of common kitchen items and tailoring the wash cycle and detergent volume accordingly. More about the amazing things the Miel dishwasher does which, especially given how good looking it is, will make it our next dishwasher, can be read about in this article

[EOP]

No comments:

Post a Comment